Sunday 8 May 2022

How To Spot A Psychopath - M Q Webb

 


Synopsis

 When four-year-old Mia Edwards goes missing on a play date, everyone suspects Jessica Green knows what happened, especially Mia's mother, Holly...


But Jess won't tell anyone.


Psychiatrist, Dr. Oscar de la Nuit, is perceptive and determined to save Jess from the same regret and secrets he lives with.


Big Little Lies meets The Silent Patient in this psychological suspense, as a missing child case turns into a deep, psychological puzzle that explores whether you can ever know who someone really is.


Oscar thinks he has Jess figured out, but will she lead to Oscar's redemption, or will she be his downfall?

                               ~|~

 My Thoughts 

  I'll start by saying there are a lot, and I mean A LOT, of thrillers out there in a similar vein available so this needed to grab my attention and keep me hooked in - thankfully it did just that.

 After Mia goes missing while Jess is responsible for her (play date) Jess is the obvious suspect but she is not talking. She is sent to a remand centre where her story catches the eye of Dr Oscar de la Nuit who moves her to his own clinic and vows to get to the bottom of the mystery. 

 All the usual elements are there (did she do it, if not who did, what is she hiding, what is everybody else hiding, the doctor has his own secrets) so there is plenty to go at as you try to unravel the mystery for yourself. The story is told partly in flashback and this really worked for me. 

 As a debut novel Webb has done a good enough job to make me want the next book. I like a novelist who can keep me guessing and Webb certainly did that.

3.7/5* (rounded up to 4* for review sites)

 


 Thanks to Anne Cater and Random Things Tours for inviting me onto this blogtour and apologies for missing my original posting date. Please have a read of the reviews by the other bloggers on the tour (below) if you get chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment