Monday 2 November 2020

After Sundown edited by Mark Morris

 


Well, here we are, the nights are drawing in and the time is just right for curling up with a decent collection of Horror Short Stories. And (in my opinion) this collection from Flame Tree Press, edited by Mark Morris is just the thing. 

There are stories from established names here and from lesser known authors too but the quality of the stories and the scares is high across the board. I have had a copy for a while and spread the reading out at a rate of 1 or 2 a week which, in my opinion, benefits the collection as it allows each story time to settle with the reader rather than run into each other. 

It doesn't seem fair to single out stories in such a high quality field but I will anyway. The ones that stood out for me were 

Butterfly Island by C J Tudor (I have a butterfly phobia so flesh eating butterflies 🦋 😲🦋) 

Branch Line by Paul Finch (proper scary) 

We All Come Home by Simon Bestwick (this one had me pleading with the main character all the way through 'please don't go there/do that etc) 

All in all a job well done by Mr Morris and his authors and, as it makes a nice change to have a collection like this with no stories that fall flat or feel out of place... 

4.5/5* Looking forward to more collections from this editor and publisher


Thanks, as always, to Anne Cater for inviting me onto this blogtour, Netgalley and Flame Tree Press for providing the review copy and please have a look at the posts by the other bloggers on this tour


No comments:

Post a Comment