Wednesday 11 September 2024

Paths Not Yet Taken - Philip Rennet

 

From The Back Page

'A ministerial visit to a Midlands food distribution centre goes badly wrong. The prime minister vanishes without trace. As the security services and police launch a frantic search for the missing PM, the government scrambles to maintain its composure and manage the situation.

One man - warehouse worker Simon Pope - inadvertently ends up at the centre of things. Just where he's dreamt of being... and now wishes he wasn't. Pope harbours a secret life and a dark past, putting the unsuspecting, missing politician at risk of losing more than his job. The resolution of the crisis is threatened by assorted bureaucrats, trying to manage a situation that a rigidly structured system is not designed to accommodate, by identifying and looking to eliminate a useful scapegoat.

If you like drama, romance, dogs or drink, this book definitely has plenty for you. If not, there's always the ongoing chaos, the political shenanigans and the relationship intrigues to hold your interest.

Ultimately, one spur-of-the-moment decision is the catalyst for others - including the reader - to reflect on their own lives and to consider decisive actions of their own.'


My Thoughts 

I must say, this is not the kind of story that would usually get my attention (there's more than enough about politics on the news, on social media, down the pub etc) but something about 'Paths Not Yet Taken' intrigued me so I went with it - and I'm rather glad I did. The start had the feeling of an old 70s/80s style British Sit-Com but as the story developed it became much more than that. 
The author wrong footed me several times and I always rather enjoy that. Shortish chapters kept the flow going and all in all I found this a quite satisfying read

4/5 stars



1 comment: