Monday 4 May 2020

The Thunder Girls by Melanie Blake


About the book:

It’s the 1980’s. Chrissie, Roxanne, Carly and Anita are ordinary girls with extraordinary lives. They are better known as eighties pop sensation The Thunder Girls. This girl group is dominating the pop scene, their faces on every magazine cover, millions of fans worldwide, constantly at the top of the charts. Until one of them brings the band’s dream run to an abrupt end. Three of their careers are over – and so is their friendship.

Fast forward thirty years. Their old record label lands a bombshell by asking them to reunite for a series of huge concerts. These would be the gigs of a lifetime with a pay check to match – some need it more than others – and old wounds leave deep scars. A lot has happened since The Thunder Girls were ruling the charts. Addiction, breakdowns, bankruptcy and divorce have led them far from the lives they once lived. If they are to move forward, the past needs to be laid to rest – but there is more to this reunion than meets the eye. Each Thunder Girl is hungry to revive their past success, but what they don’t know is that someone is watching their every move – and is determined to stop them succeeding – in the deadliest way possible.

These four girls have been to hell and back – and some of them are still there.

And that tells you all you really need to know about this book. 

The 80s was my era for music and I really wanted this book to be evocative of then but, for me, it wasn't. I liked the idea of the band breaking up then getting back together in later years and all the angst and continuing snidiness that would ensue but for me it fell a little flat. There were none of the characters that I particularly cared about and that didn't help. Maybe I'm not the target audience. 

Not a terrible book l guess, just not for me

3*



Thanks to Martina Ticic at Midas PR for inviting me to review the book and for providing me with a file for review (I also bought a copy from amazon) 

No comments:

Post a Comment