Sunday 23 October 2016

Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye - sampler reviewed

So, yesterday's post bought a parcel from Quirk books which included a book - Warren the 13th and The Whispering Wood, a sampler - Warren the 13th and The All Seeing Eye, 2 small packets of Cadbury's Buttons and a strip of transfers. The books looked lovely so I decided to give the sampler a read straight away, out of curiosity.

And I'm oh so glad I did. Our hero is Warren the 13th "the lone bellhop, valet, waiter, groundskeeper and errand boy of his family's ancient hotel". The latest in a long line of Warrens he is a strange looking little chap, but quite likeable. His hotel has run to ruin now that his Uncle Rupert has taken over along with his quite evil new wife Aunt Anaconda (who is searching for the titular All-Seeing Eye).

The book itself is gorgeous (but then again, it's Quirk Books - they always seem to produce a high quality product) with all pages illustrated by Will Staehle and the type set in an old style two column per page layout to compliment Tania Del Rio's wonderful story telling. The sampler is only three chapters long but those three chapters are enough to get me intrigued. I really enjoyed this and look forward to (hopefully) getting hold of the full version before I set out on book 2 in the series (Whispering Woods).

A great start to a series I hope will continue for a good while. Warren's adventures are aimed at Middle Grade readers but I really think readers of all ages will enjoy Warren's adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment