Monday 12 March 2012

Enemy in Blue by Derek Blass (a review) and what's next

I don't often read Thrillers - fantasy is more my thing really, but for once I'm really glad I did. This first novel from Debut author Derek Blass really hits all the right buttons.
We start off with a raid on a latino families home that goes to hell when one of the occupants is shot by the Police Seargent (Shaver - a particularly despicable person). The raid is being filmed by a tv station for a police documentary type show.
What follows, for the first part of the book, is a high octane chase for possession of the video - Shaver and various others want it so they can bury it, the good guys have it and want justice. The really good thing for me here was that the author was not afraid to kill characters off which serves to keep you on tenterhooks as you know no-one is safe or guaranteed to reach the end.
The second half of the book deals with the trial, and here the pace slows down a little, although it is no less suspenseful. Personally, I would put this up with the likes of John Grisham and Harlan Coben and I believe that with the right kind of push this could be a massive bestseller.
All in all a wonderfully exciting debut from an author I will be keeping an eye out for.
And at the time of writing this review it only costs 77p ($0.99) - you can't get much better value for money than that.

Next for me is a book I have been looking forward to for a few weeks now (since I first heard about it) - Protector (Anniversary of the Veil book1) by another first time author - Vanna Smythe. More on that when I post my review, probably later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment