Monday 17 August 2020

Northern Wrath by Thilde Kold Holt


In the far North War is coming. The Christians are coming to convert the Norse - whatever it takes. Lives will be forged in the flames of battle... and, in Thilde Kold Holdt, a new name joins the ranks of great Storytellers.


I'll be the first to admit I have a passion for Norse stories and Viking tradition so as soon as I heard of this book I was after a copy. And it turned out much better than I hoped (and I had high hopes to start with). I love a story that takes you from wherever you are and transports you to the author's setting and this worked well here. Imagine, if you will, the far Northern lands, snow on the ground, cold winds blowing, a frost that bites. Now, when you are sat in the garden reading on a blazing hot day but you sense the cold rather than the heat - that is the mark of a good author.


And a good author is an understatement when it comes to Holdt. She writes from experience, having been a crew member on a Viking ship her knowledge comes through in her writing.


The world Thilde Kold Holdt has created is one I believed in and enjoyed spending time in, her characters feel real and I am very much looking forward to the next volume in The Hanged God trilogy - I can only see this saga getting better.


What surprised me (even though I knew already) is that this is a first time author - nobody should expect to be this good first time out. There are a lot of quality authors in the genre right now and with this debut it's time to make an extra space at the top table.


Northern Wrath - so good I read it twice 5/5*


It's only August but I can't see anything beating this so I'm naming Northern Wrath as The BlogCave's Debut Of The Year 2020 

No comments:

Post a Comment