Thursday 9 May 2019

Growing Pains by Mike Shooter

I'll start by saying this is not my usual kind of read. I got a request via email though, asking if I would consider reviewing it, read the accompanying info and decided to have a look.

I'm glad I did.

The author, Dr Mike Shooter is a psychiatrist who has worked with children and adolescents and this is, mainly, a selection of stories about these patients. His way of looking at their issues, treating them etc. aren't always the expected. He actually takes time to get to know them, talk to them, get to the root of the problem instead of just filling them full of pills. And it really works.

I'm not going to pretend this was an easy read - it really wasn't, and I did find it easier to read a chapter or two and then step away and reading something else for a while.

So, who would appreciate this book? Anyone who has family, friends or loved ones struggling with anxiety, depression etc. Anyone with an interest in this kind of work and most importantly, anyone suffering from these kind of issues. This is a book that will give you hope, will make you understand the future isn't as dark as it may seem.

So, not an easy read but highly recommended 4*

No comments:

Post a Comment