Tuesday 26 May 2015

25 Ways To Kill A Werewolf by Jo Thomas - a review

I ordered this book after meeting the author at an event in Sheffield at which she did a reading from it. I enjoyed what I heard so got the book hoping it would be more of the same - it was.

It is the story of Elkie Bernstein, a 15/16 year old girl living in Wales who finds herself fighting against Werewolves. She isn't a superhero or a Buffy The Vampire-A-Like 'Chosen One' just a regular teenager having to fight off something that common sense says shouldn't exist. Who is sending the Werewolves and why? You'll find that out for yourself when you read it ;-)

The way the book is set out is kinda given away by the book title - 25 Ways To Kill A Werewolf therefore 25 different chapters each one a different 'way' (and several intermissions too). As examples

Method 1 - With A Stake

Method 5 - Parvovirus

Method 17 - Nail Gun

You get my drift I'm sure.

The story itself reads (as it says on the back cover) as part survival guide, part diary. The only problem I really had with it was that with each chapter passing some of the methods blurred into one but I got round this by reading a chapter or two every couple of days which allowed me to appreciate it more and also meant, to my advantage, the book lasted longer and I got to spend more time with Elkie and her Werewolf killing ways

A very enjoyable read

4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment