Monday 11 October 2021

Shadow Service vols 1&2

 



I started reading comics as a youngster, starting with Marvel and moving on to 2000AD when that started up. Shadow Service feels very 2000ADish so I was hooked from the start. 

Black-Ops meets Spycraft meets Witchcraft as Gina, a spellcasting PI in London is recruited by MI666, a shadow branch of the Secret Service. There's a lot of to-ing and fro-ing as she works with and against them but that worked for me as it kept the story flowing well and leaves me eager for vol 3.

What really stood out for me was the artwork. I read both volumes on my kindle fire and the quality is exceptional with the colouring making the pictures feel almost lifelike (especially the scenes where it is raining - the pictures actually look wet) 

One thing I wasn't especially keen on was MI666's mobile HQ, a van that is bigger on the inside than the outside - it would be cool if it hadn't been done before. But that aside these books had lots of good - the bad guys are as monstrous as you could hope for, the leader of MI666 is a man in a boy's body which adds a quirky element. 


And there's a talking rat. A TALKING RAT!! I mean, seriously, how can you go wrong when there's a talking rat involved? 

Thanks to Black Crow PR for inviting me onto this tour. This is day one so please follow the tour and have a look at the posts by my fellow bloggers



No comments:

Post a Comment