Sunday 22 April 2018

A Spell In The Country by Heide Goody and Iain Grant

I always look on it as a treat when a new Goody and Grant book comes out, their own brand of literary insanity never fails to make me laugh from cover to cover. So it's no real surprise that I loved this book.

The story setting is fairly simple, a collection of witches (of varying shades from Good to Wicked) attend a self help style week away in the Lincolnshire countryside. On offer are courses designed to make them better, more proficient and more profitable witches - but, as you would expect, there is a lot more going on under the surface. As always there seems to be so much going on it should be impossible for the authors to pull it all off but, as usual, somehow they do (and they do it well).

The action scenes here are often very frantic but work well and the characters, although it took me a while to remember who was who, were generally fun and ones I hope to see more of in the future.

One character stood out for me though, for sheer comedy gold and that was the imp Jizzimus. Any scene with him in it was guaranteed to have me somewhere between grinning like a loon and maniacal laughter (apart from one, but... SPOILERS!!).

As always, a cracking comedy read from two authors who deserve to be a lot better known

No comments:

Post a Comment