Wednesday 19 July 2017

Early thoughts on Jay Kristoff's Nevernight

Jay Kristoff's Nevernight has been on my radar since I first saw it. I have got a copy of the second in the series, Godsgrave, coming for review so, time to get on with it.

Now, I've only read the first few pages and normally wouldn't blog until the book was finished but circumstances here are, I guess, a bit different. What I'm wanting to say is something that needs saying while it is still fresh in my mind.

Now, as most of you will know I read a lot. I've read many authors, both 'new' and 'new to me' that have made me take notice that this could be something special. I think Jay Kristoff may have surpassed them all.

The first chapter here tells two stories side by side, one of a sexual tryst, one of a murder. The thing is, the way the two different storylines are written, although being very different, they are practically identical. The way Mr Kristoff uses his words is so clever I really feel appreciative I have the chance to read it. I sat, coffee cup in one hand, book in the other and read, then reread. Mind ever so slightly blown.

Will the rest of Nevernight continue in this vein? I don't know, but I'll tell you something - I'm looking forward to finding out. I'll post my review here when I'm done but, until then I'm going to lose myself in the words of Nevernight

No comments:

Post a Comment