Tuesday 14 April 2015

The History Suite by Catriona King - a review

The History Suite is book #9 in the DCI Craig series and, I'll be straight with you from the outset, one of the best so far.

I have been a fan of this series since day 1, finding each instalment to be different enough to stop the narrative getting stuck in a rut. Some stories you know who the murderer is from early on, some will keep you guessing right up to the end - and The History Suite is one of the latter. There were several points where I was pretty certain I knew the culprit only to be changing my mind 5 minutes later.

The other thing that keeps the series going strong is Craig's team itself. The backstories with them, at  least speaking for myself, are as important as The Main Event. I want to know what is going on in the lives of the Squad and Ms King doesn't disappoint here - there are good, bad and possibly life changing events for them in this volume.

The story itself revolves around the murder of an on duty nurse at St Mary's Healthcare Trust in Belfast. It could be a random attack (but be fair, it's not really a spoiler to say it isn't). As details come out about the victim and other workers at The Trust several persons come onto Marc Craig's radar. Will he solve the mystery before anyone else gets hurt or, indeed, winds up dead?

I will say this was a real page turner for me (I got through it in 2 days) and the only real disappointment is that I now have to wait for book 10 to be published

Afterthought: Someone really needs to think about getting these books turned into a screenplay - it's what Sunday evening television is begging for

10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment