Saturday 3 January 2015

The Shadow Tech Goddess by Ren Garcia (a review)

First things first: I was sent a copy of this book by the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

The Shadow Tech Goddess is the 8th in Garcia's League of Elder books. The question I was asked by the author was along the lines of "would readers be able to follow/understand the story lines if they started reading the books here?" (This is the start of the 4th series in the ongoing story). My answer to this would certainly be yes. I felt at home with the characters from the off and gladly threw myself into the story.

This is the first of Garcia's books I have read and I found the characters and worlds to be well created and interesting (they had a Napoleonic feel to me at times). The setting is very much a mix of Sci-fi and Fantasy with a healthy dose of multiple possibility existences. The worlds visited by Paymaster Stenstrom and Lady Gwendolyn draw the reader in, certainly some of the most interesting places I have visited in a while.

I also feel I have to mention the art work here. The cover of the book (and the others in the series) are small works of art that I would gladly have on my wall. The internal illustrations too, are a bit special.

I will certainly be going back to the very beginning to fully absorb into Ren Garcia's universe (universe's?) but if you are looking for a jumping in point this is as good a place as any.

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment